WIRED TO CREATE: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind
Join us Monday, September 26, from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Discussions will take place the 4th Monday for 10 months.
Based on psychologist Scott Barry Kaufman’s groundbreaking research and Carolyn Gregoire’s article in the Huffington Post, Wired to Create offers a glimpse inside the “messy minds” of highly creative people.
Revealing the latest findings in neuroscience and psychology, along with engaging examples of artists and innovators throughout history, the book shines a light on the practices and habits of mind that promote creative thinking.
Kaufman & Gregoire untangle a series of paradoxes— like mindfulness & daydreaming, seriousness & play, openness & sensitivity, and solitude & collaboration – to show that it is by embracing our own contradictions that we are able to tap into our deepest creativity. Each chapter explores one of the ten attributes and habits of highly creative people:
- Imaginative Play
- Openness to Experience
- Turning Adversity into Advantage
- Thinking Differently
With insights from the work and lives of Picasso, Frida Kahlo, Marcel Proust, David Foster Wallace, Thomas Edison, Josephine Baker, John Lennon, Michael Jackson, musician Thom Yorke, chess champion Joshua Waitzkin, video-game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, and other creative luminaries, Wired to Create helps us better understand creativity – and shows us how to enrich this essential aspect.
Go to http://wiredtocreatebook.com for more …. or Cory Ness @ email@example.com
Sign up in the Narthex at the LFD counter.
Covenant for Wired to Create
- We begin each meeting at 6:30 pm and end by 8:30 pm.
- What we say and hear within the group stays within the group.
- We do not interrupt one another.
- We do not engage in side conversations, as they are too disruptive.
- Use “parking lot” for thoughts and ideas, not related to current topic.
- Bring an experiential activity to each meeting.
- Speak up so all can hear.
- Step up/step back.
- We are committed to attending monthly, so we attend whenever possible.
- Anyone can pass, that is, opt to not share, or to not participate in a discussion or exercise.
|September 26||Imaginative Play||Cory|
|October 24||Passion||Kate M & Rebecca A|
|December 19||Solitude||Barbara Peters|
|January 23||Intuition||Joyce B & Miki L|
|February 27||Openness to Experience||Amber R & Gina R|
|March 27||Mindfulness||Gloria K|
|April 24||Sensitivity||Michael S|
|May 22||Turning Adversity into Advantage||Amy F. & Mary Dale|
|June 19||Thinking Differently||Charlie T|