- Adult Education Chair: Katie Mack This committee supports adult programs that explore and promote the ideals found in our seven principles by providing facilitative support (such as enrollment in and advertising) for a wide variety of programs. They also manage the Covenant Groups.
- Board of Directors This is the governing body of the church. It is comprised of seven members who serve three-year terms. Current members of the Board of Directors. Officers Robert Hurt, President Lynnette Embree, Vice President Owen Lowe, Treasurer Stewart Brown, Assistant Treasurer Mary Dale Jackson, Secretary Members at Large Evan Clark Liz England
- Building Chair: Jeph Embree This committee maintains the church building as well as arranging for work days for members and friends.
- Caring Chair: Dottie Cox, Chair: Norma Riley. This committee responds to the joys, concerns, and needs expressed in our church community. We provide food, transportation, occasional and long-term visiting, cards and phone calls. The committee also takes the responsibility for receptions and memorials.
- Children & Youth Religious Education Chair: Christine Lingle This committee provides quality religious education for preschool and school aged children. This committee recruits, trains teachers, and oversees the operation of classes and programs.
- Committee on Ministry Chair: Gail Vasta
- Communications Chair: Robert Haskins This committee is developing ways to improve church communications such as the website, emails, facebook, newsletter, etc.
- Endowment Chair: Joe Maio This committee oversees the UUCSV endowment fund as well as educating the congregation about giving opportunities. Stewardship of our church is more than paying the annual bills. It is also the laying aside of resources to serve our programs and expansion in future years. It is to provide our church with a “savings account” ...
- Finance Chair: Willy Hayes Chair: Teri Merrill This committee determines and monitors the financial condition of the church as well as oversees money-raising operations and projects.
- Grounds Chair: Judy Miller This committee maintains the church grounds and arranges for work days for members and friends.
- Leadership Development and Nominating Chair: Deirdre Cochran This committee nominates people for elected positions. These include positions on the Board of Directors and on the Leadership Development & Nominating committee. This committee also provides leadership development and assists finding chairs and members for committees.
- Memorial Garden Chair: Michele Worthing This is responsible for the development of the UUCSV memorial garden.
- Mentoring Chair: Vacant This committee helps to orient new members to our Church community through a mentoring program.
- Newcomers Chair: Gloria Kelm This committee develops and administers a process for welcoming visitors, providing them with information about the church, and assisting them in the process of becoming members. They coordinate greeters who welcome and introduce visitors during Sunday Services.
- Social Action and Justice Chair: Kelsey Wilkes Chair: Ed Jaffee This committee coordinates and leads church efforts in social action/justice projects in the area/region.
- Socials and Sharing Suppers Chair: Mary Haskins Coordinates sharing suppers, church socials, and the singles group. Sharing suppers include 8-10 people who agree to meet for potlucks once a month for a year. Singles activities are organized for fun and to integrate singles into other church activities.
- Stewardship Chair: Mark Lore Chair: Katie Mack The mission of this Committee is to enhance the awareness of members of the congregation of the shared responsibility of the Church to provide support to its members and of the members to support the Church. They conduct the annual canvass.
- Worship Chair: Joe Farruggia This committee has primary responsibility for planning and presenting the services when the minister is not in the pulpit. The minister has this responsibility when in the pulpit. The committee manages all the details of the service requirements including audio/visual, music, etc. This committee manages the ushers and sound system.
- Yard Sale Chair: Mary Dale Jackson This committee organizes and manages a yard sale at the church each year to help members clear their homes and make money for the church. Meets a few months prior to the yard sale.
The UUCSV Membership Committee fosters the growth and continuity of the congregation by: (a) creating a welcoming environment for visitors to the church; (b) explaining the principles of Unitarian Universalism and the related activities of the church to visitors, especially individuals expressing an interest in joining the congregation; (c) assisting members and friends to cope with serious illnesses, injuries and personal/family crises and celebrate major life passages (weddings; births, anniversaries, etc.); (d) mentoring new members and helping them to become fully assimilated, contributing members of the congregation; and (e) maintaining contact with members and friends of the church and helping them along their personal and spiritual journeys, including re-establishing and strengthening ties to the church community when appropriate; (e) assists the Stewardship Committee in promoting year-round stewardship within the congregation.
Auction Committee: Jeff Embree chairs this event. The church has an annual services and goods auction organized and managed by this committee. Usually meets 5 months prior to the auction.
Constitution and By-Laws: Chaired by Cal Allen, this committee acts as a consultant with regard to the church constitution and by-laws. Meets as needed.
Library: Currently the chair is vacant. This committee maintains and organizes the library. Meets as needed.
Choir: Directed by Mariana Mihai-Zoeter, the choir performs for Sunday Services and selected events. Choir practice is Thursday evening and new members are always welcome.
Covenant Groups: These small groups get together monthly making a covenant to meet for a year (renewable) to discuss a topic generated by the DRE and the groups’ facilitators to further our personal relationships and spiritual growth. Groups are formed by the LFD committee.
CUUPS/Earthways: This is a local group of UU pagans and Covenant of UU Pagans, which are part of the denominational organization.
Flowers: This group provides flowers to decorate the sanctuary for Sunday services. Contact Peggy Maio if you can help with the flowers.
Greeters: Greeters report to the Newcomers Committee. They greet and welcome visitors and guests at Sunday Services.
Grocery Coupons: Margaret Schad manages this fund-raising program with volunteers to sell Grocery Store Gift cards. We use them to buy groceries at Martins and Food Lion and the church receives a rebate.
Kitchen: This group of volunteers maintains the kitchen in an orderly fashion as well as coordinating volunteers for making coffee and clean-up on Sunday.
Name Tags & Church Directory: Sign up at the information table to be listed in the church directory and receive a name tag for use at Sunday Services and other church events.
Newsletter: The newsletter is published monthly and available on the website and printed copies are available in the Narthex. Claire Haskins is the newsletter editor.
ROMEOS: This group of men meets monthly for lunch and lively discussion and brotherhood.
Ushers: Greeters report to the Sunday Services Committee. They provide Orders of Service to people entering the sanctuary on Sunday mornings and help them find seating. They also facilitate the sharing of joys and concerns by providing microphones. They pass the bowls for the offering and count the proceeds.
Webmaster: Scott Riley is our webmaster. Also, the new Communications Committee is working on updating and adding to our website.
Welcoming Congregation: The church has many activities under several committees to ensure that the church continues to be a congregation that provides a special welcome to those who are gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, or transgendered.